The famous Cambridge dictionary defines astrology as the study of the movements and positions of the sun, moon, planets, and stars in the belief that they affect the character and lives of people. Also, different sections of the society believe in different astrological concepts.
Additionally, almost all the astrological concepts that we encounter, have some relation with western astrology. Moreover, the western astrology is also known as Hellenistic astrology.
Also, the word 'Hellenistic' means something that is influenced by Greek culture. Moreover, in Babylonian astrology, the concept of zodiac originated. Additionally, the Hellenistic culture had a huge influence on that. Also, we know that there are 12 zodiac signs.
Further, they are classified into four categories:
Indian astrology is known as Vedic astrology or 'Jyotisha'. The Indian astrology gives importance to the 9 planetary deities or 'Navagraha'
The Navagraha are:
According to Indian astrology, these 9 planets influence the 'Vargas'. Also, the 16 sectored charts or 'Vargas' are used to study the effect of the planetary conditions.
1. Rashi or the Lagna chart as it is of 30º to study all aspects of life.
2. Hora or one-half of a sign -15º is the varga to study wealth.
3. Drekkana or one-third of a sign – 10º is the varga to study siblings.
4. Chaturthamsha or one-fourth of a sign – 7º30′ is the varga to study destiny and house.
5. Saptamsha or one-seventh of a sign – 4º17`8.5″ is the varga to study progeny.
6. Navamsha or one-ninth of a sign – 3º20′ is the varga for spouse. Also applicable to other aspects.
7. Dashamsha or one-tenth of a sign – 3º- is the varga to study ones profession.
8. Dwadashamsha or one-twelfth of a sign -2º30′- is the varga to study parents.
9. Shodashamsha or one-sixteenth of a sign -1º52’30”- is the varga to study conveyance.
10. Vimshamsha or one-twentieth of a sign -1º30′- is the varga to study spiritual progress.
11. Chaturvimshamsha or one-twenty fourth of a sign -1º15′- is to study knowledge.
12. Saptavimshamsha or one-twenty seventh of a sign -1º6’40”- is to study the strength.
13. Trimshamsha or one-thirtieth of a sign – 1º00′- is misfortunes and nature.
14. Khavedamsha or one-fortieth of a sign – 0º45′ is for auspicious & inauspicious effects.
15. Akshavedamsha or one-forty fifth of a sign 0º40′ is for all areas of life.
16. Shashtyamsha or one-sixtieth of a sign 0º30′ is for all general effects.
Astrology is based on the belief that the position of the celestial objects influences one's present and future. Also, astrology focuses on the planetary motions to check its effect on the events.
Whereas, astronomy is a branch of science that only deals with the study of celestial objects. Furthermore, these include galaxies, planets, stars, asteroids, etc.
Additionally, astronomy is one of the most sought profession by space scientists. In contrast, it started with several controversies, wherein, the earth's rotation and revolution were proved, contrary to the belief that the sun revolved around the earth.
The earth is round and not flat was established. Ironically, the people of their era never supported such theories and tried to suppress the voice of the great discoverers of astronomy.
Astrology also had a controversial start. However, the number of people who have benefitted from it are significant. All in all, astronomy is the study of celestial bodies and astrology is the study of the 'effect' of celestial bodies in our lives.
There are several astrological concepts present in different parts of the world. Some follow the solar calendar, while others follow the lunar calendar. Furthermore, there exist several other calendars too. The concept of astrology is very simple, that is to help people live in harmony and peace.
Ready to know your future? Visiting Here Today!